Friday, May 20, 2005

News 19/5/05

Now, let’s get something straightened out: I know there was a more or less universal expression of jealousy when I revealed the nature of my new job and the destination for assignment number 1. But it’s not all milk and honey you know. Monday to Friday are full-on working days (and wearing a wool suit in 35 degrees is no picnic either). It can be pretty lonely at times too – without the convenience and security of family and friends nearby. More than that though, is not knowing exactly when I’ll be seeing you again. Wish I could somehow teleport you all here (along with some choice pubs and restaurants of course). On the other hand, I can think of worse places in the world than the Caribbean to spend weekends. Last Friday I hopped on the ferry (aka: ‘The Vomit Comet’) to Trinidad’s sister island, Tobago, and got strip-searched on arrival in a small dark room by undercover narcotics cops (well, I had to take my shirt, shoes and socks off, if that counts). Do I have a guilty face? Nevertheless, enjoyed an evening BBQ with some yachting-types and then sailed back to Trinidad on one of the racing boats (see pic below), which had just competed in the regatta. In other news, I have now joined the driving fraternity and been scooting around Port-of-Spain in the rental car. Not so exciting until you consider that I haven’t driven a car since my test at age 17! Keep the e-mails coming, I really appreciate hearing all the news. Pics of the new apartment coming soon.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home